POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Fighting piracy on two fronts : Re: Fighting piracy on two fronts Server Time
29 Sep 2024 21:23:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fighting piracy on two fronts
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 24 Apr 2009 12:47:10
Message: <49f1ed0e@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 24 Apr 2009 02:39:32 -0600, somebody wrote:

> I didn't mean to imply it was an easy problem. It's a cat and mouse
> game, much the same as the malware problem where the malware authors
> will always be one step ahead of anti-malware software. That doesn't
> mean there is not a definite benefit, even if one cannot eradicate the
> problem utterly and completely. In your case, you don't give up, do you?

For years, yeah, they did.  Because of the costs of constantly swinging
the hammer on the mole's head.  But I feel we have to make an effort, and
my management supports this now.

> Using a similar mix of blacklisting and heuristics employed by
> anti-virus programs, players like Google who both have the technology
> and the power can make a huge dent in the problem. The locks on our
> doors won't stop all thieves either, but they will discourage casual
> ones.

When Google starts doing that, and they start censoring legitimate
content, then that also becomes bad.

The MIT Guide to Lockpicking teaches you how to open most locks very
simply.  That is protected free speech.  The use of that material,
though, can lead people to illegal activities.

So should the guide be blocked from public access?

Jim